Crisp Tahong are the perfect seafood appetizer! Dusted with flour and cornstarch and fried until golden and crisp, these fried mussels are seriously addicting.
As important as I enjoy the fellowship of happy hour, I ’m a light alcoholic. A many drafts of beer and I ’m formerly red, standing unashamedly on the table and singing a robustious, tearful rendition of “ End of the World. ”
So yes, alcohol isn’t my mug of tea. While everyone in the group is busy with inuman( drinking), I dig deep into the pulutan( appetizers), especially if it’s crisp tahong with a racy ginger dip!
Plus, they ’re super easy to make, especially if you use frozen New Zealand bones on the half shell, which only need a gentle punch to remove the meat. More yet, check to see if your store carries completely shelled bones that are ready to be trolled in flour.
Deep frying tips
- Pat the mussels dry with paper apkins so that the coating adheres better.
- For stylish results, use enough oil painting to fully submerge the tohong and heat to an optimal temperature of 350 F to 375F.
- Use canvases with a high bank point similar as canola, avocado, safflower or peanut oil painting.
To keep the temperature from dropping, don’t overfill the visage and shindig in batches as demanded.Toast the oil painting reverse to 350 F before adding the coming batch.
How to serve
- crisp tahongs are excellent as an appetizer to your favorite drinks or as a main course with fumed rice. Serve with racy ginger for dipping.
- These fried mussels are best enjoyed lately cooked, as they lose their crunch over time and aren’t reheated.
- Using a adulation cutter, lade the bones out of their shells. Discard the shells. Wash the mussel meat and dry it well.
- Mix the flour, cornstarch, swab, garlic greasepaint and pepper in a coliseum.
- Comb the mussels in the flour admixture to fleece them fully.
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat about 2 elevation of oil painting to 350F.
- Add the scallops, shaking off any redundant flour, and shindig for about 5 to 7 twinkles, or until the scallops are cooked through and golden and crisp.
- Remove from heat and let drain in a colander set over a coliseum. Serve hot with a racy ginger dip.